These are hard days. How do we know? Well, we are right at the end of winter. If you live in central Europe like us at FLSK, there have been a few months in the cold already. We are craving for warmth, for green leaves on the trees and for liveliness.
The sun climbs unceasingly yet infinitely slowly higher and sends its still very gentle rays to us winter- and lockdown-pale beings. Spring is no longer far away – but not yet within reach. Right now it seems as if winter has come to stay.
To help us all get through these last gloomy days, the universe has invented Chia Fresca! This 100% natural energy drink is based on jellied chia seeds, known for being rich in fibre. Mixed with sparkling grapefruit juice and a few other magical ingredients, it's a refreshing, invigorating drink that lifts the spirits, at least for us.
For your planning: The first step of the recipe, namely preparing the chia base, should ideally be done the day before. If you often use chia in your diet, you can simply prepare a larger quantity. The gel will stay fresh in the fridge for at least a week.
What you need for one glass:
- 200 ml water
- 10 g chia seeds Juice of one ripe grapefruit, freshly squeezed
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 handful sage leaves
- 200 ml sparkling mineral water
- 1 pinch of vanilla powder or a little scraped out pulp of the vanilla pod
- optional: 1 handful sage leaves
- 1 slice of grapefruit for decoration
- Mix chia seeds and water in a lidded screw-top jar. Put it in the fridge for at least 5 hours or better overnight.
- Put this chia gel, which is still quite liquid, into a large glass, add the grapefruit juice, the vanilla, the honey and optionally the sage leaves and fill up with mineral water.
- Now just stir until the honey has dissolved, decorate with the grapefruit slice and enjoy.