When the clock ticks towards 3pm in our office, the collective need for a break, something sweet and, of course, coffee increases. In autumn, it doesn't take long before someone puts the magic words "Pumpkin Spice Latte" in their mouth.
And everyone is like: "Oooooooohhhh yeah!" (Imagine the FLSK team with ecstatic faces and a longing shimmer in their eyes).
There is something about this drink that the hype about the "PSL" has been lasting for so long already and we can't keep our hands off of it. In its barista shop version, it's a lot of milk products, fat and sugar.
But can we tell you a secret? These ingredients are totally superfluous! Our creamy, sweet autumn favourite works just as well - if not better - with healthy, vegan ingredients.
Since we know this we save a lot of time and money which we prefer to invest in a homemade spice dream with sugar alternatives straight out of our office kitchen.
Our Pumpkin Spice Latte is exactly the recipe you need for this autumn season. You will love it!
- 1-2 cups of espresso
- 150 ml vegetable milk, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon Pumpkin Spice spice mix*
- 1 pinch of ground vanilla pod
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 50 ml coconut milk (or vegan cream)
* You don't have a Pumpkin Spice mix yet? Then grab a small container and mix 5 tsp. cinnamon, 2 tsp. ground ginger, 2 tsp. allspice, ½ tsp. ground nutmeg, ½ tsp. ground cloves and 1 pinch of salt. This way you have something for your stock, e.g. to try our delicious Pumpkin Spice Granola.
- Heat the maple syrup with the pumpkin puree in a small pot while stirring.
- Add the vegetable milk and the spices and let everything get warm.
- Remove the pot from the flame before the milk boils. Now add the espresso and stir.
- For a perfect topping, add a tablespoon of freshly whipped coconut milk before serving (beat the solids from the can with 2 drops of maple syrup using a hand mixer) and sprinkle some of the spice mixture over it.