What's blue, sweet and makes you smile in the morning? No, we're not talking about Smurfs, but about this extraordinary Blue Ocean Smoothie Bowl! A vegan, healthy and fulfilling taste experience, as refreshing as the ocean surf.
You've probably seen pictures of bright blue breakfast bowls on your social media feed and wondered where the colour comes from and if it's healthy.
In fact, a completely natural ingredient provides the special colour in the Blue Ocean Smoothie Bowl: spirulina algae. This blue algae, native to tropical to subtropical waters, has no taste of its own and does not smell at all. But it is full of valuable ingredients.
We hear again and again that spirulina can be used preventively or even curatively for certain diseases. But you should be careful with such statements, because they are often not proven (see the article by the consumer advice centre). Whether spirulina is a superfood? Therefore, we cannot say.
But there's no doubt about it: the algae conjures up a vivid blue colour in your bowl without artificial colouring - and we love it for that! The Blue Ocean Smoothie Bowl is a delicious change to your every-day breakfast that catches everyone's eye. It's also perfect as a colourful surprise for brunch with friends.
What you need:
For the smoothie
- 1-2 frozen bananas
- 1 handful pineapple (frozen or fresh)
- 1 tsp blue spirulina powder
- 3 tbsp vegan yoghurt
- 50 ml plant-based milk (try coconut or almond!)
For the bowl
- Coconut flakes
- Banana slices
It's that simple:
- Put all the ingredients in the blender.
- Blend to a creamy smoothie. Add more liquid if needed.
- Decorate with toppings.
- Frozen bananas are the key ingredient in many smoothies. Peeled and sliced, they will keep for several weeks in a zipper bag in the freezer.
- Buy spirulina powder in high quality organic if possible. Inferior powders have been found to contain contaminants in the past.
- To enjoy your smoothie bowl on the go, it's best to use the muki Snackpot. In its insulated main container, the smoothie stays nice and cool, while the toppings wait for their use in the separate lid compartment.